About Toji-in Temple
Toji-in Temple is a Rinzai Tenryuji sect temple. In 1341 Ashikaga Takauji who founded the Muromachi shogunate invited the monk Muso Soseki here to found it. The temple’s was originally named Kita-Toji-ji as a branch temple of Toji-ji, but following Takauji’s death it became his tomb and was renamed to Toji-in. It gradually fell into ruin over time but in 1606 Toyotomi Hideyoshi reconstructed it. The Reiko-den on the shrine grounds holds the Riun Jizo and a historical statue of Tokugawa Ieyasu. There is also a 1.5m tower on the shrine grounds in memorial of Takauji’s death.
The garden split into east and west
The garden here is split into two halves, and both of them are pond-style gardens with a bridge leading up to an island in the pond. The western is a strolling style pond garden with Kinugasayama as its backdrop. The western garden is surrounded by the Fuyochi abbot’s chamber to the south, a drawing room on the west, and the tearoom "Seirentei" on the north. The east garden’s pond is in the shape of the Japanese character for "heart" and there is lush foliage that has been planted here.
On the Keifuku go to Toji-in Station (等持院駅) and then you can walk about 10 minutes to the shrine. The shrine is directly to the south of Ritsumeikan University.