Kamishichiken District

Kamishichiken District © Iry

Kamishichiken District

The origin of Kamishichiken District is said to be the seven teahouses that were built with the building material used for Kitano-Tenmangu (famous shrine in Kyoto) in the Muromachi Period (1338-1573). Kamishichiken is the oldest of the five Hanamachis (entertainment quarters) that now remain (Kamishichiken, Gion-Koubu, Gion-Higashi, Ponto-chou, and Miyagawa-chou). Kamishichiken was used as a rest house when Hideyoshi Toyotomi held a tea party in 1587 called the "Kitano-Dai-Sayu."

Kamishichiken is far from the other Hanamachis, and the number of teahouses, geikos, and maikos, are decreasing compared to the past. However, Kamishichiken is still popular for its high quality performances. Every year from April 15th to the 25th, a dancing performance called Kitano-Odori is held at the Kamishichiken Dancing-and-Singing Studio. In the summer, the garden is used as a beer garden and opened to the public. Visitors enjoy their time with maikos in a rather casual atmosphere. It is quite small but quite pleasant to visit. While visiting Kitano-Tenmangu, take a walk around the Kamishichiken District and enjoy downtown Kyoto.

Access

Train: It is ten minutes on foot from Kitano-Hakubai-cho Station on the Keifuku Line.




Image Gallery: Kamishichiken District


Description: Kamishichiken District

Sights Kamishichiken District (上七軒花街)
Rating  
Address 742, Shinseichou, Zyoukyou-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto
京都府京都市上京区真盛町742
Phone / Fax Phone:
Website
Duration 20Minutes
Admission Fee Free admission
Recommended Season
Spring (March - May)
Summer (June - August) Autumn (September - November) Winter (December - February)
Recommended target Groups Adult (ages 20+) Single traveller


Map: Kamishichiken District