About Daitoku-ji Temple
Daitoku-ji Temple is the headquarters of the Rinzai Sect/Daitoku-ji School, which was founded in 1315 by a Rinzai priest Shuho Myocho. After many of its buildings were burned down during the Onin War (1467-1477), the temple was rebuilt by a priest Ikkyu Sojun. The temple got into the limelight when Toyotomi Hideyoshi presided over a funeral service of Oda Nobunaga, built Sokenin, the grave of Nobunaga in the temple precinct and donated estates for the temple. Since then, the temple became prosper while winning the support of warlords in the Sengoku period who believed it a good way of demonstrating their power to found a temple in the same precinct. Against such background, it grew to become one of largest-size temples in Kyoto, comprising two betsuin branch temples and twenty-two subtemples in the precinct, each of which has precious cultural assets such as architecture, landscape garden and so on. Daitoku-ji temple itself has a hojo (abbot's quarters) surrounded by a kare-sansui garden designated as a Special Place of Scenic Beauty, a karamon (a Chinese gate) relocated from Hideyoshi's castle Jurakudai, and partitions and sliding doors in the hojo painted by Kano Tanyu.
It is within a short walking distance from the City Bus (Kyoto Transportation Bureau) 'Daitoku-ji mae' stop.
Image Gallery: Daitoku-ji Temple
Description: Daitoku-ji Temple
|Sights||Daitoku-ji Temple (大徳寺)|
53 Murasakinodaitokuji-cho, Kita-ku, Kyoto prefecture, Kyoto
|Phone / Fax||Phone: 075-491-0019|
|Admission Fee||Pay admission: 800yen|
Spring (March - May)Summer (June - August) Autumn (September - November) Winter (December - February)
|Recommended target||Family Couples Groups Child (ages 7-17) Adult (ages 20+) Single traveller|
Map: Daitoku-ji Temple