What is Enko-ji Temple?
It is a Rinzai Sect/Nanzen-ji school temple, founded by Tokugawa Ieyasu under a political initiative to enlighten the people and to rule the state by law instead of resorting to arms. It started as a school when a Rinzai priest Kanshitsu Genkitsu was invited to teach students. The school published books such as the so-called "Fushimi Version" of a chronicle of Confucius's sayings/doings and dialogues with his disciples. The original wooden printing types have been preserved in the temple. After it was first built in the town of Fushimi Castle, the temple was moved to the premises of Shokoku-ji Temple near Kyoto Gosho and then, in 1667 moved to the present location in the foot of Mt. Hiei. By the time of the Meiji Restoration, it became desolate but since it was rebuilt as a dojo (training facilities) for Buddhist nuns, the temple has been used as a Zen dojo. It' a chisen-kaiyushiki (pond-stroll) garden, is known as "Garden of Ten Bulls", where a spring pond, Seiryuchi, the oldest one in Rakuhoku (northern Kyoto), is laid out in the center and a suikinkutsu (literally meaning 'water harp cave') produces a subtle sound in a ceramic pot under the ground. The temple attracts many tourists by fresh greens in spring and by colored leaves in autumn.
It is a 15 minute walk from the City Bus (Kyoto Transportation Bureau) 'Ichijoji-sagari-matsucho' stop.
Image Gallery: Enko-ji Temple
Description: Enko-ji Temple
|Sights||Enko-ji Temple (圓光寺)|
13 Ichijoji-kotani-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi
|Phone / Fax||Phone: 075-781-8025 / Fax: 075-721-8035|
|Closed dates||7 days open|
|Admission Fee||Pay admission: 500yen|
Spring (March - May)Summer (June - August) Autumn (September - November) Winter (December - February)
|Recommended target||Family Couples Groups Child (ages 7-17) Adult (ages 20+) Single traveller|