What is Adashino Nenbutsu-ji Temple
Adashino Nenbutsu-ji Temple was founded over 1100 years ago by Buddhist monk, civil servant and scholar named Kobo-Daishi. It was originally called Gochizan Nyorai-ji Temple. Thereafter, Honen, religious reformer and founder of Japanese Pure Land Buddhism called Jodo-shu, made it into a prayer training hall and it was named Adashino Nenbutsu-ji Temple.
Previously in this area, it was a common burial practice to expose the corpse to the wind and let it wither away, and many corpses were being left exposed to do so. Kobo-Daishi decided to collect these corpses and arranged for burial at Nyorai-ji Temple. Thereafter, people held memorial services for the spirits by worshiping the stone Buddha statues and pagodas.
Every year on August 23 an 24, approximately 8000 stone Buddha statues and pagodas, called Muenbotoke (Nameless dead) are lit by candlelight and worshiped by many people during the Sentoukuyo "Thousand Light Memorial Service".
Summer’s Thousand Light Memorial Service is held against background of bright red, autumn maple foliage and provide for a beautiful contrast, which also draws many people to Nenbutsu-ji Temple.
5 minute walk from the Toriimoto stop on the Kyoto Bus.
Image Gallery: Adashino Nenbutsu-ji Temple
Description: Adashino Nenbutsu-ji Temple
|Sights||Adashino Nenbutsu-ji Temple (化野念仏寺)|
Kyoto, Ukyo-ku, Sagatoriimoto Adashino-cho 17
|Phone / Fax||Phone: 075-861-2221 / Fax: 075-881-9800|
|Closed dates||7 days open|
|Admission Fee||Pay admission: 500yen|
Spring (March - May)Summer (June - August) Autumn (September - November) Winter (December - February)
|Recommended target||Family Couples Groups Child (ages 7-17) Adult (ages 20+) Single traveller|