What is Rokuo-in Temple?
Rokuo-in Temple was built as a sub-temple at the same time as Hodo-ji Temple, in 1380, by Ashikaga Yoshimitsu Shogun (Military commander) of the Muromachi period (1336-1573) to offer prayer of longevity. Hodo-ji Temple flourished as a Zen temple but was destroyed during the Onin War (Civil war lasting 10 years from 1467). Due to the destruction, Rokuo-in, originally built as a sub-temple, inherited Hodo-ji Temple's position and proceeded to become a full-fledged temple of the Rinzai Zen Buddhist sect after reconstruction during the Edo period.
The main gate has Kiriduma-dukuri (Gabled roof construction) tile-roofing created during the Nanbokucho era (1336-1392). The main building, which houses the Shakanyoraizo statue and a statue of the founder, Fumyoukokushi in the main hall, was built in 1676 during the Edo period reconstruction. In front of the Shariden (Reliquary hall), built in 1763, there is a traditional dry landscape garden. This leveled garden was established in 1760 and features rockwork and moss characterized by the natural scenery of Arashi-yama Mountain.
5 minute walk from Saga-Arashiyama Station on the JR SanIn Line. 3 minute walk from the Rokuoin Station on the Keifuku Railway.
Image Gallery: Rokuo-in Temple
Description: Rokuo-in Temple
|Sights||Rokuo-in Temple (鹿王院)|
616-8385 Kyoto, Kyoto-shi, Ukyo-ku, Sagakitabori-cho 24
|Phone / Fax||Phone: 075-861-1645 / Fax: 075-861-1645|
|Closed dates||Monday NEW YEAR'S HOLIDAY|
|Admission Fee||Pay admission: 400yen|
Spring (March - May)Summer (June - August) Autumn (September - November) Winter (December - February)
|Recommended target||Family Couples Groups Infant & Toddler (ages 0-6) Child (ages 7-17) Adult (ages 20+) Single traveller|