What is Jingo-ji Temple
Jingo-ji Temple was founded by Wakeno Kiyomaro, a proponent of Heiansento (Moving of the Capital in 794 A.D. by Emperor Kanmu), in the northwest area of Kyoto in Takao-san Mountain as a place to pray for national peace. It is an extremely important temple in Japanese Buddhist history and was the place where Saicho (Founder of the Tendai sect) lectured the Lotus Sutra, and the temple which Kukai (Founder of the Shingon sect) managed for 14 years and made into a Konpondojo (Central and most important temple that unifies the sect). Later, it was devastated by fires in 994 and 1149, and suffered as well in conflict with an abdicated emperor who joined the Buddhist order. However, it was revived by Shingon sect priest Mongakushonin and his son, Jokaku and returned at a greater scale. During the Namboku period (1336-1392) it was again devastated by fire but was reconstructed during the Edo period (1603-1868) and prospers to this day as a Koyasan Shingonshu sect temple.
Inside the grounds, the impressive main buildings of the temple consist of Kondo Hall, Shuro Bell Tower that holds the national treasure Bonshu Buddhist bell, Bishamondo Hall, and Daishido Hall. The atmosphere is that of a training dojo.
It is a very important temple in the Japanese Buddhist community and also houses many national treasures including, Yakushi Nyorairyuzo Buddha statue, Godaikokuuzo Bosatsuzo Buddha statue, Murasaki Aya Kingindeiryokaimandarazu mandala, and Kenponchakushokushka Nyoraizo.
In autumn, the beautiful colors of the fall foliage can be seen two weeks earlier here than in central Kyoto and it is crowded with many tourists. It is also one of three famous mountains in the area, collectively called Takaosanzan, and is a famous fall foliage viewing spot along with Kozan-ji Temple and Saimyo-ji Temple.
"Yamashiro Takao" stop on the JR bus or 20 minute walk from the "Takao" stop on the Kyoto Bus.
Image Gallery: Jingo-ji Temple
Description: Jingo-ji Temple
|Sights||Jingo-ji Temple (神護寺)|
Kyoto, Ukyo-ku, Umegahata Takao-cho 5
|Phone / Fax||Phone: 075-861-1769 / Fax: 075-862-0354|
|Closed dates||7 days open|
|Admission Fee||Pay admission: 500yen|
Spring (March - May)Summer (June - August) Autumn (September - November)
|Recommended target||Family Couples Groups Child (ages 7-17) Adult (ages 20+) Single traveller|
Map: Jingo-ji Temple