What is Unryu-in Temple
Unryu-in Temple was built in 1372 by Emperor Gokogon as a branch-temple to the Mitera-Senryu-ji Temple which was the imperial household's family temple. Later, Emperor Goenyu, carrying the faith of successive emperors, ordered the founding of Shakyokai (Sutra copying meetings), which continue to this day.
The temple was destroyed by fire during the Onin War, however, was revived with donations from the imperial family during the Edo period (1603-1868) and developed into a facility where many monks study. The roof of the main building was made using the Kokerafuki technique (Shingled roof made of Sawara cypress materials and bamboo nails) and has become a very valuable piece of history. Additionally, the temple became the family temple of 3 generations of the imperial household after Emperor Gokogon and holds many royal documents and paintings.
Image Gallery: Unryu-in Temple
Description: Unryu-in Temple
|Sights||Unryu-in Temple (雲龍院)|
605-0981 Kyoto, Higashiyama-ku, Sennyuji Yamanouchi-cho 36
|Phone / Fax||Phone: 075-533-7150 / Fax: 075-533-7150|
|Closed dates||7 days open|
|Admission Fee||Pay admission: 400yen|
Spring (March - May)Summer (June - August) Autumn (September - November) Winter (December - February)
|Recommended target||Family Couples Groups Child (ages 7-17) Adult (ages 20+) Single traveller|
Map: Unryu-in Temple