Temple with 1100 years of history
Takahata Fudo-son Kongo-ji temple is a Shingon sect temple in Hino, Tokyo. It is one of the oldest temples in the Kanto region. The temple festival is held on the 28th every month, so there are a lot of pilgrims.
1100 year ago, the monk Ennin started building Fudo-do Hall. In 1335, the mountain hall was destroyed by a typhoon, so it was moved at the foot of the mountain. The deity statue that is inside the Fudo-do Hall today weighs more than 1100 kg, and it was faithfully reproduced in Heian Period (794-1185).
At the Nio-mon gate, which serves as the temple’s entrance, you can see statues of Kongorikishi (guardians of Buddha). The statues are made using various tree materials.
Takahata Fudo-son Kongo-ji temple is also famous for hydrangea flowers. "Hydrangea Festival" is held from around early June to around early July. There are also a lot of people who come to see autumn leaves in the end of November.
Family temple of Hijikata Toshizo
Takahata Fudo-son Kongo-ji temple used to serve as a family temple for Hijikata Toshizo who was the vice-captain of Shinsengumi, a special police force organized by the Bakufu (military government) during Japan’s Bakumatsu Period (1853-1868). There are statues of him and his descendants on the premises.
At Okuden hall, there is a statue of Fudo Myoo, flags and other Shinsengumi objects that are selected as Important Cultural Properties. Okuden is open from 9:00 to 16:00, entrance is 300 yen. Closed on Mondays, except festivals and special occasions.
Dainichi-do hall has memorial tablets of Hijikata Toshizo. Apart from Dainichi-do hall, there are various Buddhist and dragon images around it. Dainichi-do hall is open from 9:00 to 16:00, entrance is 200 yen. Closed on Mondays.
Train: Takahata-Fudo station on Keio Line, Dobutsu-en line, Tama Monorail line.
Car: Kokuritsu-Chofu Interchange on Chuo Expressway. There is a parking lot, free of charge.
Image Gallery: Takahata Fudo-son Kongo-ji temple
Description: Takahata Fudo-son Kongo-ji temple
|Sights||Takahata Fudo-son Kongo-ji temple (高幡不動尊金剛寺)|
733 Takahata, Hino-shi, Tokyo
|Phone / Fax||Phone: 042-591-0032 / Fax: 042-593-3038|
|Closed dates||7 days open|
|Admission Fee||Free admission|
Spring (March - May)Summer (June - August) Autumn (September - November) Winter (December - February)
|Recommended target||Family Couples Groups Infant & Toddler (ages 0-6) Child (ages 7-17) Adult (ages 20+) Single traveller|
Map: Takahata Fudo-son Kongo-ji temple